DePaul offers a bachelor’s degree in Leadership Studies, an accelerated two-year degree completion program for adult students who have previously earned an associate degree or have completed 66 semester hours applicable to the degree program. Courses are offered by the College of Communication, Department of Psychology and the School of Continuing and Professional Studies. You will attend class one night each week at the Loop campus, as well as take online courses.
There are 94 quarter hours required for this degree, as follows:
Workplace Dynamics (4 courses equaling 16 credit hours)
- DCM 302 PROJECT MANAGEMENT: DESIGN AND ASSESSMENT
- ORGC 251 ORGANIZATIONAL COMMUNICATION
- ORGC 353 COMMUNICATION AND ORGANIZATIONAL CHANGE
- ORGC 316 COMMUNICATION AND GROUP DECISION-MAKING
Leadership Skills (6 courses equaling 24 credit hours)
- CMNS 329 PERSUASION
- LL 270 CRITICAL THINKING
- DCM 301 EFFECTIVE LEADERSHIP IN A CHANGING PROFESSIONAL ENVIRONMENT
- DCM 303 LEADERSHIP MODELS FOR STRONG ORGANIZATIONS
- DCM 311 CONFLICT MANAGEMENT AND NEGOTIATION OR CCH 299 ASSESSING AND MANAGING CONFLICT
- DCM 330 PROFESSIONAL COMMUNICATION IN THE WORKPLACE
Methods (3 courses equaling 12 credit hours)
- DA 200 DATA ANALYTICS or DA 233 APPLIED INFORMATION MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
- DCM 308 INTRODUCTION TO STATISTICS
- DCM 309 APPLIED RESEARCH
Workplace Ethics (2 courses equaling 8 credit hours)
- DCM 304 EVOLVING PROFESSIONAL ETHICS
- DCM 325 WORK & SOCIETY
Analyzing Human Motivation (3 courses equaling 12 credit hours)
- CMNS 313 NONVERBAL COMMUNICATION
- DCM 307 ANALYZING HUMAN BEHAVIOR
- PSY 347 SOCIAL PSYCHOLOGY
Adult Learning Seminars (10 courses equaling 22 credit hours)
- DCM 313 LEARNING FROM EXPERIENCE AND SELF-ASSESSMENT
- DCM 314 LEARNING AND TRANSFORMATION
- DCM 315 EXPLORING THE FIELD
- DCM 316 WORK IN A GLOBAL ENVIRONMENT OR FA 117 WORK IN A GLOBAL ENVIRONMENT
- DCM 317 ETHICS IN THE PROFESSIONS
- DCM 318 SOCIAL JUSTICE IN THE PROFESSIONS
- DCM 319 CREATIVITY AND INNOVATIVE THINKING
- DCM 320 PROFESSIONAL PORTFOLIO DEVELOPMENT
- DCM 321 CAPSTONE PLANNING
- DCM 322 CAPSTONE PROJECT/PORTFOLIO REVIEW
Additional Open Electives credit may be required to meet the minimum graduation requirement of 192 credit hours. Open Electives can be fulfilled through courses offered by the School of Continuing and Professional Studies and other DePaul colleges, transfer courses, assessment of prior learning (PLA), and independent studies.
Students will be able to:
- Analyze and apply knowledge and theories of leadership.
- Investigate problems using qualitative and quantitative methods.
- Apply ethical principles in context.
- Explain the value of social justice in organizational contexts.
- Apply various methods of communication in multiple settings.
- Utilize principles of reflective practice in leadership studies.
- Analyze and apply different liberal arts perspectives.